10 Ways to Cook with Herbs


                I married into a pretty great family if I do say so myself. This was confirmed this past week for two key reasons. The first being that after attending a family wedding in Colorado and breaking out my dance moves, they still claimed me. The other reason is I always get a call when Grandma Jan’s herbs need a haircut. 

Last year I came back from lunch to the largest bucket of herbs that I have ever seen. This year she sent me home with a grocery sack full of herbs, oregano, rosemary, and more! To repay her for green gifts, all she asked was for an article for new ways to use herbs – so Grandma Jan this one is for you.

It is that time of year when herb gardens are peaking and it is hard to always know how to use herbs. Nutritionally herbs are a great way to infuse flavor without fat and calories, so here are 10 new ways to cook with herbs.

1. Sandwich or Salad

Leafy herbs like basil, cilantro, oregano, or parsley make a perfect addition to sandwiches or salads. I love adding basil to turkey and tomato sandwiches or adding cilantro to my taco salad.

2. Compound Butter

Compound butter is simply another name for a flavored or infused butter. Soften butter slightly and add a mixture of herbs, refrigerate until solid and enjoy. My favorite addition is chopped rosemary and then using that butter to spread on toasted bread or all over a roast chicken.

3. Marinades

We are in the middle of grilling season and herbs play a crucial role in the development of flavor through marinades. One of my favorites is a cilantro lime marinate that is made using an entire bunch of chopped cilantro, the juice of 3 limes, salt and vegetable oil. It makes for a delicious marinate for skirt steak or chicken.

4. Potato Salad

Spinach and Basil Pesto
One of my favorite ways to use herbs is to brighten and lighten up a typically heavy recipe like potato salad. Instead of mayo, I like to toss my boiled potatoes in a light dressing made of olive oil, lemon, chives, and dill.

5. Pesto

Probably my favorite way to use up a large amount of herbs is by making a pesto. Many associate pesto with basil, but you can use a variety of herbs to make unique pesto recipes. A combination of herbs including basil, parsley, cilantro, and mint then paired with parmesan, lemon, garlic, and some toasted nuts makes for delicious pesto. I love adding pesto to pastas, sandwiches, and to eggs!

6. Veggie Dip

If you have some plain Greek yogurt in your fridge and some herbs in you garden ready for trimming, make a delicious dip! Basil, dill, and chives with Greek yogurt, lemon, salt, and pepper make for a light nutritious vegetable dip.

7. Salad Dressing

Once you make your own salad dressing, I swear you’ll never go back. 3 parts olive oil to 1 part acid such as citrus juice or vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and add fresh chopped herbs. Shake to combine and enjoy a homemade salad dressing!

8. Fruit Salad

I love making fruit salads in the summer and my favorite secret ingredient is herbs. For a tropical fruit salad, I love the addition of mint. For a watermelon and feta salad, basil takes it to the next level.

9. Infused Water

With temperatures rising, hydration is so important. For many of us consuming plain water can be a challenge, but herbs can help! Combine herbs with lemon, lime, or orange slices into a large pitcher of water and enjoy delicious infused water with added flavor and no added sugar.

10. Any Recipe is Better with Fresh Herbs

OK. Maybe this last one is a little bit of a cop out, but it’s true. It’s easy to rely on salt and pepper for the main source of flavor in your recipes, but don’t forget about herbs. Next time you are in the kitchen just ask yourself, could I add an herb to that? You might be surprised to find that herbs can provide fresh flavor in almost every recipe from mint in smoothies, to cilantro in salad, to basil in bread.

Comments

Popular Posts