Workplace Wellness


               We are entering our second week of the New Year and I have to say that mine is off to pretty good start. I set my goals on the first day of the year and I have slowly been adding to them. One of my goals that I added is to sleep more. Now if you know me at all you know that I’m already bordering hibernation status, but I am the best version of myself when I am well rested. Another area that I want to focus on this New Year is health and wellness in the workplace. As we are spending anywhere from 40-60 hours a week at our place of employment, it is so important to bring health goals not only to the kitchen, home, and gym but also to work! Today, we are going to learn all about how to practice wellness at work.

1.      Take Breaks With Your Co-Workers
I am very thankful for an amazing job with some amazing co-workers. One thing that makes our office environment so cohesive is that we make an effort to take a break together at least once each day. We step away from our respective desks to sit down and just visit. Not only does it provide a much needed mental break in the day, but it also allows for camaraderie. If you don’t have a regular scheduled break in your work day, send a poll around the office to try and find a time that works for everyone to break together.

2.      Find a Walking Path
Everyone has had that moment at work when you just need to “walk away”. Well I have literally started walking away when I reach this point when dealing with strenuous task or project. It is the perfect way for me to reset. It can be as simple as walking loops inside your office or walking stairs in the building.
Try and find a walking path that you can retreat to when needed.

3.      Ergonomics Consultation
This past week, I called the Rehab Facility at St. Francis to set up my ergonomics consultation. Ergonomics is the study of people’s efficiency in their work environment and although I felt like I was being productive at work, I was suffering from neck pain and felt cramped in my office. Terry Nelson, a Physical Therapist at the hospital, came to my office and based on my height and work habits adjusted my desk and office to fit me. His key recommendations were to make sure my computer screens hit my natural gaze, to keep everything in arms reach, to make sure the seat of my chair covered the entirety of my legs, and to take lightbulbs out of my overhead lighting to reduce the glare on my computers. If you feel like you are in need of some adjustments, call the hospital to set up your ergonomics consultation.

4.      Healthy Snacks
When you eat better, you feel better and work better. Instead of going to the vending machine for candy bars when you need a snack, pack some healthy snacks to help curve your hunger cravings and hold you over until lunch. My co-workers can attest to my practicing of this recommendation. My favorite bring to work snacks include apples, string cheese, dried fruit, yogurt, or a protein shake. I always have my backup snack as well. I keep a jar of unsalted roasted peanuts in my desk and to make sure I stick to the ¼ cup serving, I use the lid to measure the peanuts to their recommended portion.

This is my dream board that sits in my office.
5.      Bring Life Into Your Office
A psychological study done in 2014 did research into the “green versus lean office space”. They found that bringing in pictures, souvenirs, and living plants creates a more stimulating and creative environment in which to work. To spark ingenuity in my office, I created an inspiration board for my office that contains food pictures from magazines, drawings from charlotte, and inspirational quotes from colleagues. I look at it and reminded of what an amazing opportunity I have to share food, nutrition, and health information for my career. I also highly recommend cacti for an office plant because you only have to water them once a week.

Comments

Popular Posts