Vegetable Bolognese

If my photos start looking a little differently, it’s because my sister, Abby,  told me I have to step up my staging game and I have to make natural light my best friend. Why can’t food just smile and look pretty like the rest of us?! 

Now to the recipe, Bolognese if unfamiliar, is simply a slow cooked meat sauce. Instead of using a can of marinara this sauce uses vegetables, tomato paste, and red wine. I like to sneak in a few extra veggies like spinach, kale, zuchinni, and mushrooms.  If you have time you can let it simmer for 2 hours on the stove or you can throw it in the Instant Pot and have it done in an hour. 

 
Instant Pot Bolognese
2 tbsp oil + 2 tbsp butter
1 lb lean ground beef

*You could also use ground turkey
1 onion diced
2 carrots diced
2 ribs of celery diced
1 zucchini diced

*You can also add kale, spinach, or mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry red wine 

*If you do not want to cook with wine, you can simply add more chicken broth.
5 oz tomato paste
1.5 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Oregano, basil, parsley
Salt and pepper

If Cooking on the stove, saute vegetables until soft. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. 
Add red wine and cook until reduced or until it no longer has a strong alcohol smell. Add tomato paste, vinegar, and broth. Season to your likely. I did a tsp of oregano, basil, and parsley. Stir to combine. Simmer on low heat for 2 hours.


On Sauté function, cook vegetables in oil and butter until very soft. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add red wine and cook until reduced or until it no longer has a strong alcohol smell. Add tomato paste, vinegar, and broth. Season to your likely. I did a tsp of oregano, basil, and parsley. Stir to combine. Press cancel and lock lid into place. Cook on high pressure for 30 min with a full natural release. serve with whole wheat pasta, gnocchi, or veggie noodles.

Comments

Popular Posts