Don’t Get SAD: Seasonal Affective Disorder




I have always prided myself in my positivity. I strive to find the best in every situation and choose to view the world through rose colored glasses, but lately I’ve noticed the slightest ever twinge of gray coming over my sunny shades. The other night, Adam and I were discussing my “offness” that I was feeling. I shared with him that I no longer had the pep in my step, I was struggling to stay focused, and I honestly just wanted to sit on the couch all day and for someone who has to be constantly moving or completing a task, this was so not me! Adam after patiently listening to my rant and rave said “I think you’ve got a case of the winter blues.” I love Adam for many reasons, but one of those reasons is that he always knows how to diagnose and decipher my “ailments”. So for those of you who are also feeling the weight of winter, today is all about how to not to get SAD.

Now when I say SAD, I am not talking about being melancholy or dismal. SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder is a form of depression that comes of in the form of “episodes” that align with the changing of the seasons. Symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder, as described by the National Institute of Mental Health, include low energy, hypersomnia, overeating, weight gain, and social withdraw. Because we live farther north from the equator that means we are getting less sunlight and are more prone to the winter blues, but there are some ways to counteract becoming SAD.

1.      Light Therapy
With a lack of sunlight being one of the primary culprits, one of the primary ways to treat seasonal depression is through light therapy. Tanning beds are not recommended with them leading to an increased risk of sun damage and skin cancer but there is another option. Light Therapy Boxes have been created to filter out harmful UV rays and instead provide positive light that can improve mood and sleep. They have small portable options available online. I just ordered one for my desk at work!

2.      Exercise
When dealing with any kind of depression, exercise is always recommended. When you exercise your body releases endorphins that have the ability to alter your mood in a positive way. Exercising also has been found to reduce stress, aid in anxiety, and improve your overall self-esteem. During winter months, I love trying new kinds of exercise at home like yoga, Pilates, and many others. A quick trip to the library or a look online will guide you to various free, online exercise resources to help you stay fit at home. To get started here is a quick 10 min body weight circuit to try. Set a timer for 2 min and complete 5 burpees, 10 pushups, 15 plank jacks, 20 jump squats. You can use the remaining time for a rest. Repeat these exercise 5 times for a total of 10 min of work.

3.      Vitamin D
Living in Nebraska means that we have limited sunlight from October to March and with a lack of sunlight, comes a lack of Vitamin D. Although the National Institute of Mental Health cannot confirm that Vitamin D supplementation is a confirmed treatment of SAD, there have been studies that have shown it to an efficient treatment. Now seasonally depressed or not, it is important to be consuming enough vitamin D for our bone health. Fatty fish like tuna and salmon, fortified dairy products, cheese, and egg yolks are all high in vitamin D and should be consumed regularly

Now although this article was a little depressing on the sunny side warmer days will be here soon and until then I will make the best of it by sitting in front of my light therapy box, exercising, and consuming more vitamin d!

Resources: 
https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/seasonal-affective-disorder/index.shtml
https://www.unmc.edu/alliedhealth/research/hops/calcium.html

Comments

Popular Posts