Curried Lentil Soup

I love me some dried beans. I would say 9/10 trips to the grocery store will lead to another bag of beans in the cart. Black beans, great northern, pinto, or lentils, I love them all. I like the texture and versatility of legumes. The fiber boost isn't bad either.

One of my absolute favorite way to enjoy lentils, the flat little disk looking beans, is in a curry. When cooked down, lentils get very soft so a curry or soup is a great way to prepare them.

This particular soup tugs at my heartstrings because my step mom, Fiona, always had a big bowl of it ready with a brie and tomato sandwich whenever I came to visit my dad in high school and college. With the temperatures dropping this weekend, I definitely recommend making a batch of this hearty soup.

Curried Lentil Soup 
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
chicken stock

Saute onion, carrots, and celery in olive oil until soft. Add garlic, lentils, curry powder, and salt. Stir to combine and heat until just warmed through. Cover completely with chicken stock and cook lentils until they are soft. Use an immersion blender to puree. Serve with brie cheese and tomato sandwiches.

 Optional: you can also add a hefty handful of spinach or kale for added vegetables. 

Comments

Popular Posts