Greek Yogurt for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner



              
  Ever since I wrote my article about navigating the yogurt section of the grocery store, I just can’t stop thinking about yogurt. I even went so far as to make my own yogurt from scratch, but that’s a different story. I really do think yogurt is moving its way up my list of top favorite foods in my fridge/pantry although it hasn’t reached peanut butter status quite yet. After my article, someone asked me what my favorite kind of yogurt was and I said that without a doubt it is plain Greek yogurt. It is my favorite for an array of reasons, but one of the most appealing aspects of Plain Greek yogurt is how versatile it is. You can make it sweet or savory, you can bake with it, or you can swap it in place of other ingredients. This article is simply an homage to the versatility to Greek Yogurt as I am going to show you how to eat Greek yogurt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Breakfast
I know what you are thinking – she’s going to say put fruit on it for breakfast. Well you are partially correct. I like buying “PLAIN” Greek yogurt because it doesn’t have any added sugar like many of its flavored counterparts. This gives me the power to control how much sugar I add in. For breakfast have 1 cup of Greek yogurt and mix in 1 tablespoon of honey or 1 tablespoon of preserves to flavor your yogurt. Top with fresh fruit and skip the granola! 2/3 of a cup has over 200 calories. Instead use rolled oats or grape nuts for added crunch and fiber.

Lunch
Have some leftover chicken from the night before? Cube it up and instead of reaching for mayo swap it out for some plain Greek yogurt. Mix it up with some sliced grapes, chopped celery, and chopped nuts for a healthy chicken salad that could be enjoyed in a lettuce wrap or in a whole wheat tortilla. Greek yogurt has 1/10 of the calories and fat as mayo! They key to swapping Greek Yogurt for Mayo is making sure that you season with salt and pepper.

Dinner
Now it’s time to tell you a little secret. Greek yogurt is my secret ingredient to my green chili enchiladas. Mix 1 can of canned green enchilada sauce with ½ cup of Greek yogurt for a creamy addition to your layers of corn tortillas, Monterrey jack cheese, shredded chicken, and cilantro. Enchiladas not your style? On your taco salad or nacho night instead of grabbing the sour cream, do a dollop of Greek yogurt instead. If you have some picky eaters in your house like I do, feel free to withhold the fact that you are swapping out the sour cream…they won’t be able to tell a difference anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts